Apply Online Search
Contact Us

Financial Aid Office

Cristina Lomeli
Financial Aid Director
Phone: (818) 386-5608
Fax: (818) 386-5636

Lavetta Anderson
Financial Aid Advisor
Phone: (818) 386-5635
Fax: (818) 386-5636

We are located in Room 193, and our office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm

The Financial Aid Office will be open the following Saturdays from 10:30 am - 2 pm:

  • Fall 13-14 - September 7, 2013 & September 14, 2013

  • Spring 13-14 - January 18, 2014 & January 25, 2014

  • Summer 13-14 - May 10, 2014

  • Fall 14-15 - September 6, 2014 & September 13, 2014

  • Spring 14-15 - January 17, 2015 & January 24, 2015

  • Summer 14-15 - May 9, 2015

General Information

The Financial Aid Office at Phillips Graduate Institute is committed to providing students with financial aid resources to meet their educational costs.  Phillips Graduate Institute offers Financial Aid to eligible students through a combination of Federal Direct Stafford loans, the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan, and Federal Work-Study.  All financial assistance is coordinated through the Office of Financial Aid.  

Financial Aid Eligibility

In order for students to be eligible for federal financial aid funding they must:
  • Be officially accepted for admission to Phillips Graduate Institute
  • Be a US citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen with a valid ID and social security card
  • Be enrolled in good standing with at least half-time status
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress 
  • Cannot be in default on any Title IV loan or owe a repayment on any Title IV grant
  • Registered with the selective service if applicable

How to Apply for Financial Aid

There are three easy steps to follow when applying for financial aid for the 2012/2013 academic year.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a Renewal FAFSA. The FAFSA must be completed online at www.fasfa.ed.gov. Be sure to enter Phillips Federal School Code G22372. Please be advised that this is a FREE application. You should NOT PAY to have your FAFSA completed.

If you are an eligible non-citizen, please provide a copy of your ID, or driver's license and social security card; and, if applicable for permanent resident or eligible non-citizen status, both sides of form I-151 or I-551 Alien Registration card (green card), U.S. passport or Certificate of Naturalization will be required for identification purposes only.

If further documentation is required to complete the financial aid application process, the Office of Financial Aid will contact the applicant. The financial aid office can be contacted at (818)386-5608 or at financialaid@pgi.edu.

Federal Loan Program  

Phillips Graduate Institute participates in administering the Federal Stafford Loan Program. Graduate students may borrow up to a maximum of $20,500 per academic year (two semesters) in Direct Stafford Unsubsidized Loans. The Unsubsidized Stafford Loan accrues interest while the student is enrolled, and a student may choose to pay the interest monthly or have it capitalized until repayment. The interest rate on Stafford Loans is 6.8% fixed. There is a 1% Origination fee that is taken of the loan total when it is first originated. The loans are automatically deferred while the student is in school and have a grace period of 6 months after the student graduates or falls below half-time enrollment. Students must be officially accepted with Regular Admission Standing by the Office of Admissions before the loan process can be completed.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study Program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for education expenses. The total Federal Work Study award depends on when a student applies to the program, the level of need, and the funding level of Phillips. The amount a Federal Work Study student earns can't exceed the total Federal Work Study award. The Federal Work Study student's supervisor or the financial aid administrator will consider class schedules and individual academic progress when assigning work hours. This program also encourages students to participate in community service activities.



(M.A.) Tuition per unit $854
(Psy.D.) Tuition per unit $894
Late registration fee $50 (If registering after the official registration period.)

Administration Fees

(M.A.) Administration Fee $375/semester
(Psy.D.) Administration Fee $375/semester
Doctoral Internship Fee
(Half-time) $2,000/semester
(Full-time) $3,000/semester

Veteran Benefits

Phillips Graduate Institute is approved for Veteran Administration benefits. The Department of Veterans Affairs has made funds available for Veteran Students. For information regarding eligibility for Veterans Education Benefits, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at www.va.gov or call 888.442.455. After confirming eligibility with the Department of Veterans Affairs contact the registration office at 818 386-5606 for more information.


How do I apply for Federal Student Aid?
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on line at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

What is Phillips Graduate Institute's Federal School Code?

What information do I need to complete a FAFSA accurately?
First, read the instructions carefully. You can print the FAFSA worksheet prior to submitting your FAFSA information online. To assist you with the application process, be sure to have your Federal Income Tax return on hand, as well as any W2s and the most current Bank Statement. If tax returns are not available, use estimated income. Always sign your FAFSA form electronically.

What if I need help filling out my application?
When applying at www.fafsa.ed.gov, use the help feature that is built into the program. You can also contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID or contact the Phillips Financial Aid Office at (818) 386-5608.

How do I qualify for the Federal Stafford Loan?
You must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible resident, enrolled at least half-time with a satisfactory academic progress, and have no unresolved defaults on prior federal student loans.

Is there a credit check required to receive a Federal Stafford Loan?
No credit check is required to receive a Federal Stafford Loan.

How much can I borrow?
When using the loans available under the Federal Stafford Loan program, graduate students can borrow up to $20,500 per academic year (two semesters) the Aggregate Stafford Loan life time limit is $138.500.

What is a Grad Plus?
The Graduate/Professional PLUS loans is an option for student pursing a graduate or professional degree that can be used to help pay for tuition, fees, books, housing, food and even reasonable transportation and personal expenses. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for both subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans before applying for a Grad PLUS. You may borrow up to the total cost of attendance, minus the amount of your federal Stafford loans and other financial aid you receive. You must meet credit eligibility requirements. If you do not meet the credit requirements, you may still receive a PLUS loan if you know someone who is willing to endorse your loan.

What is a Master Promissory Note?
Once signed, the Master Promissory Note is a binding legal document between you and your lender. Your signature indicates that you are agreeing to repay your loan under the certain terms designated. Be sure to read the note carefully and save a copy of it for your records. Master Promissory notes are required for both Stafford and Grad PLUS loans, and can be completed on -line.

How will I receive my student loan funds?
Student loan funds will be directly disbursed to your school via electronic funds transfer (EFT). Funds will be disbursed in two or more installments, usually at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.

When do I pay back these loans?
After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half time enrollment, you have six months before you begin repayment on your Stafford loans. This period of time is called a grace period. If you borrow a Grad PLUS you will need to start repaying your Grad PLUS loan within 60 days of the last disbursement, but you can postpone repayment while you're in school.

Is it ever possible to postpone repayment of my loan?
Yes, under certain conditions, you can receive a "deferment" or "forbearance" on your loan, as long as the loan isn't in default. A deferment allows you to temporarily postpone payment on your student loan. You may be eligible for a deferment if you are:

At least a half-time student at a postsecondary school;

In an approved rehabilitation training program for the disabled;

Unable to find full-time employment; or

Show economic hardship.

If you're temporarily unable to meet your repayment schedule, but you're not eligible for a deferment, your lender might grant you forbearance for a limited and specified period of time. During the period of forbearance, your payments are postponed or reduced, or your repayment period might be extended. However, please note: whether your loans are subsidized or unsubsidized, you'll be charged interest during a period of forbearance.

You might be granted forbearance if you are:

Unable to pay due to poor health or other unforeseen personal problems;

Serving in a medical or dental internship or residency;

Serving in a position under the National Community Service Trust Act of 1993; or

Obligated to make payments that are equal to or greater than 20 percent of your monthly gross income.

Deferments or forbearances are not automatic and you might have to provide documentation to support your request.

Therefore, it is suggested that you contact the lender or agency that holds your loan, the Financial Aid Office at the school you are currently attending, planning to attend or previously attended for assistance with this process.

The following is a list of Financial Aid Web Links:

Scholarship Search


Financial Literacy

Free Annual Credit Report

Share This Page